Milwaukee Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Lawyers
Filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Wisconsin
Every year a growing number of individuals and corporations petition Wisconsin courts for debt relief through Chapter 7, Chapter 11, or Chapter 13 bankruptcy protection. Indebtedness from unexpected high medical bills, a sustained period of unemployment, or escalating debt from the loss of a loved one can turn your financial world upside down. If you find yourself in a debt catastrophe and need to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the counsel of the experienced Greater Milwaukee bankruptcy attorneys at the Law Office of Rollie R. Hanson, S.C. can help you assess your eligibility, and work to resolve the complications of your indebtedness.
We can guide you through the Chapter 7 bankruptcy process and toward stabilizing your finances. Our firm has a 25-year record of successful outcomes in Chapter 7 cases, as well as foreclosure defense and a variety of consumer law issues.
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Basics
Chapter 7 bankruptcy can enable the debtor to receive a discharge within approximately three to four months after filing. If your monthly income is less than the median income for a household of your size in Wisconsin, you will qualify for chapter 7 bankruptcy protection. The Chapter 7 bankruptcy process involves:
- Debtor participation in mandatory credit counseling within 180 days prior to filing the bankruptcy petition;
- Submission of a bankruptcy petition to the court;
- The court appoints a Trustee to administer the bankruptcy case;
- All non-exempt assets, if any, are surrendered for liquidation and distribution (the vast majority of Chapter 7 cases do not have assets available for liquidation);
- Proceeds from liquidation are distributed to approved creditors, in order set by bankruptcy code;
- The court enters a discharge order; and
- Most debtor pre-petition debts are discharged and liability to creditors ends, with the exception of such debts like student loans, child support obligations, and taxes, to name a few.
Skilled Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Representation
Our Greater Milwaukee bankruptcy attorneys can assist you with your Chapter 7 bankruptcy case. We know the difficulty you face when debt can lead you to file for bankruptcy. We can assess your finances to see if you qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, help you through the process, and put you on the road to financial stability. Contact us at (414) 321-9733 for an initial consultation. From our offices in West Allis, WI, we serve clients throughout southeast Wisconsin.