Illegal Debt Collection Practices in Wisconsin
Milwaukee Consumer Law Attorneys Defending Your Rights
The Federal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) regulates the actions and behaviors of debt collection agencies. The FDCPA applies only to debt collection agencies. The Wisconsin Consumer Act (WCA) is similar to the FDCPA in regulating collection actions. However, the WCA applies not only to debt collectors but also to original creditors.
If you are subject to harassing bill collectors, the skilled Milwaukee illegal debt collection attorneys at the Law Office of Rollie S. Hanson, S.C. can protect your rights and put a stop to unethical and illegal practices. We have represented hundreds of clients dealing with inappropriate bill collectors in Greater Milwaukee and throughout southeast Wisconsin.
Debt Collection Practices That Are Illegal
There is legal recourse and a number of protections available to you as a consumer if you are subject to illegal collection practices Illegal debt collection practices include:
- Use or threaten force, violence, or physical harm to you, your dependents, or your property;
- Threaten you with criminal prosecution;
- Disclose or threaten to disclose knowingly false information against your reputation or credit worthiness;
- Initiate or threaten to initiate contact with your employer before a final judgment against you, except to verify employment status or earnings, or where an employer has established debt counseling service;
- Disclose or threaten to disclose information affecting your reputation to someone other than your spouse;
- Disclose or threaten to disclose information on debt you have disputed without noting the fact that you dispute the debt;
- Contact you or a person related to you too frequency, or at such unusual hours, or in a manner that threatens or harasses you;
- Engage in threatening or harassing conduct with you or a person related to you;
- Use obscene or threatening language in communicating with you or a person related to you;
- Claim, threaten, or attempt to enforce a right against you that does not exist;
- Use a communication with you which simulates an authorized legal, governmental, or judicial process when it is not;
- Threaten action against you, unless like action is taken in regular course or is intended with respect to the particular debt; or
- Engage in conduct in violation of an administrative rule that enjoins false, misleading, deceptive or unconscionable agreements or conduct.
The FDCPA and WCA provide remedies if your rights have been violated by collectors, allowing for the recovery of actual funds paid to merchants, as well as punitive damages for emotional distress or physical injury caused by harassing conduct.
Consumer Rights Lawyers Fighting Illegal Collection Practices
Unscrupulous debt collectors cannot get away with violating your rights as a consumer, even when you do owe an outstanding debt to a merchant. The Milwaukee illegal debt collection attorneys at the Law Office of Rollie R. Hanson, S.C. know how to deal with collectors who use harassing, oppressive, or abusive conduct against you. If you want to put a stop to this illegal practices, contact us at our West Allis, WI offices to schedule an initial consultation. We fight for hundreds of harassed clients throughout Milwaukee, Ozaukee, and Waukesha Counties, and the communities in and around southeastern Wisconsin.